There are certain spirits, cocktails, and wines that are just better suited to suit certain seasons than others. Summer has sangria and white wine, whereas winter is whiskey drinking season. If you’re not in the mood for venturing out into the cold winter weather, there are plenty of whiskey cocktail recipes you can make right at home!
Who says you can’t enjoy happy hour while in the comfort of your own home? Channel your inner bartender and grab your favourite bottle of whiskey—it’s time to try out these delicious cocktail recipes! Check out some of our favourites:
Brown Sugar Old Fashioned
Smooth, suave, and completely modern, this unique twist on the simple old fashioned whiskey cocktail recipe
will make you feel extra cozy this winter. A little added brown sugar is sure to turn this classic cocktail into a whole new experience, with hints of caramel for you to enjoy. After giving this whiskey cocktail recipe a try, you’ll never want to go back to the original!
- 1 cube or tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 oz. of bourbon or Spirit Of York Rye Whiskey
- Orange or lemon peel for garnish
- Dissolve a lump of sugar into a glass with water.
- Add bitters.
- Add whiskey plus ice.
- Stir vigorously to mix all the ingredients together.
- Garnish with a citrus peel, which can be an orange or lemon, whichever you have available.
It's an excellent back-to-basics whiskey cocktail that is perfect for when you crave a simple drink at home!
Hot Buttered Whiskey
If you’re looking for your next guilty pleasure drink, this whiskey cocktail definitely hits the mark. Warm up your nights with a piping hot cup of Buttered Whiskey—yes, you read that right. A whiskey lover's version
of the original rum cocktail recipe, this incredibly soothing drink will have you sipping on it all winter long!
- 1 stick butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 2 ounces Spirit Of York Rye Whiskey
- 1 ounce batter (hot buttered)
- 4 ounces water
Butter Batter Instructions:
- Combine all of the batter ingredients to a large bowl. The recipe recommends using a mixer with the paddle attachment. Continue mixing for 1 to 2 minutes until everything is beautifully blended together.
- Transfer the batter onto a sheet of plastic wrap or an air-tight container lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until mixture is firm.
Hot Buttered Whiskey Instructions:
- Cut a dollop or about an ounce off of your now flavourful butter batter.
- Add it into a hot mug.
- Pour the Spirit Of York Rye Whiskey.
- Add water—eyeball how much you'd like to add and adjust depending on the size of your mug. But basically, the drink should have a smooth but creamy consistency and should take twice as much whiskey you used.
- Stir and indulge!
Homemade Whiskey Cream Liqueur
Here's a no-fail whiskey cocktail recipe to make when you want to put in a little extra effort. This rich, creamy, and luxuriously delicious winter beverage is pure decadence. It's a hybrid between a cocktail and a dessert, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Bust out your blender and whip up this fantastic Irish cream liqueur copycat
- 1 cup Spirit Of York Rye Whiskey
- 1 cup 18% cream
- 300-mL can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Combine ½ cup of the cream with your cocoa powder and instant espresso in a small saucepan. Set over high heat and whisk the mixture together until the cocoa has dissolved and the liquid is gently boiling. This should take about 2 to minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl and whisk in the condensed milk, almond and vanilla extract, Spirit of York Rye Whiskey, and remaining cream.
- Et voila! You've made your very own Irish cream liqueur. Keep it chilled in the refrigerator in a sealable jar or bottle for up to 2 weeks. Serve over ice or mix it with other cocktail drinks.
Blood Orange Whiskey Cocktails
Now, here's an excellent way to sneak in a dose of the ever so important Vitamin C during the cold winter months. If you’re craving a citrus-y whiskey cocktail
that’s the perfect balance of sweet, savoury, acidic, and bitter notes, this drink is the right one for you!
- 1 1/2 ounces Spirit Of York Rye Whiskey or bourbon
- 1/2 ounce Amaro Nonino Quintessentia
- 2 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed blood orange juice (about two blood oranges)
- 1/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice (about a quarter of a lemon)
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar
- 2-3 dashes orange bitters
- A sprig of thyme
- Juice the citrus fruits and set aside.
- Fill up your cocktail shaker with ice.
- Combine the whiskey, amaro, blood orange juice, lemon juice, agave nectar, and bitters.
- Shake until nicely chilled.
- Filter the solids using a strainer.
- Pour into a cocktail glass filled with fresh ice.
- Finish it off by squeezing thyme sprig a few times to release its aroma. Leave it there for garnishing.
Spiced Milk with Whiskey
Wouldn't you give anything for a delightful drink that'll bring you back memories of the holidays? Here's one with a bit of booze—spiced milk with whiskey. It's a whiskey cocktail recipe
that's sure to be better than your Christmas eggnog, enjoyable both warm or chilled.
Ingredients Per Serving:
- 1/4 cup spiced milk
- 1 1/2 oz whiskey
- Sweetened whipped cream
Spiced Milk Ingredients:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 12 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Sweetened Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- To make the spiced milk, combine all its ingredients in a saucepot.
- Let it boil. Turn off the heat and let it steep for 20 minutes.
- Use a strainer to drain the solids from the spiced milk mixture.
- Combine the spiced milk and whiskey.
- Top it off with whipped cream.
- Grate nutmeg for garnishing.
Stock up on Spirit of York products. Our signature vodka, gin, aquavit, and whiskey are always available in our distillery located at 12 Trinity Street, Toronto Ontario and in provinces across Canada.
Check out our blog for more exciting content like these winter whiskey cocktail recipes!